Offering World-Class Care for Liver Transplants, Kidney Transplants, and Kidney-Pancreas Transplants in St. Louis
As an academic medical practice, SLUCare Physician Group has a long history of innovation in transplant medicine. SLU doctors performed the first kidney transplant in St. Louis in the 1970s. In 1999, our doctors performed the first simultaneous liver/kidney transplant at Saint Louis University Hospital. And in 2018, our live donor kidney transplant expert played a leading role in developing international guidelines for living donor kidney transplantation.
SLUCare abdominal transplant surgeons across the board offer excellence in transplant services for patients with end-stage liver disease, renal disease or end-stage organ damage.
Organ transplantation is truly a life-saving event for critically ill patients, offering hope for renewed well-being. To turn that hope into reality takes a coordinated team of medical specialists, nurses, dietitians, social workers and others, committed to connecting patients with resources needed both before surgery and after to produce the best possible outcomes.
In our Transplant Center at SSM Health Saint Louis University Hospital, you will find:
- Expertise in liver and kidney transplants for adults and children, including live-donor kidney transplantation
- Pancreas and kidney/pancreas transplantation for patients with Type 1 diabetes
- Experienced transplant surgeons who have trained and worked in some of the country’s best transplant centers
- Comprehensive evaluation for transplant suitability, as needed, from experts in:
- Hepatology (liver disease)
- Nephrology (kidney disease)
- Endocrinology (diabetes care)
- Cardiology (heart health for surgery)
- Interventional radiology (pre-op treatment of tumors)
- Psychiatry/psychology (behavioral health)
- Transplant-related infectious diseases
- Anesthesiology/critical care
- Pulmonary medicine (pre-op evaluation and therapy)
- A transplant navigator to guide you through the process
- United Network for Organ Sharing (UNOS) listing for qualified patients
- Surgeons who are researchers and educators on the forefront of advances in transplant medicine and science
- Saint Louis University's renowned Center for Transplant Outcomes Research
Adult Transplant Services
Our Expertise Shows in Our Outcomes
SLUCare one-year post-transplant survival rates meet or exceed national averages. Compare our rates for kidney transplant and liver transplant on the Scientific Registry of Transplant Recipients website.
The SLUCare Difference: Informed Medicine
Patients referred for transplant often have questions about what comes next in their treatment plan. We understand and we’re here to listen.
When you are referred to SLUCare Abdominal Transplant Surgery, you’ll encounter a team of concerned, compassionate people who want to know more about you. We’ll work with you and your referring provider to better understand your health history and your current medical needs. Our intake coordinator will help you arrange appointments with the right specialists and guide you through the evaluation process. We’ll address your concerns, answer your questions, and talk with you honestly about the factors that contribute to a successful transplant.
It is this open communication that creates a partnership between you and our transplant team. We pledge to do everything we can to help you through the evaluation process — and if you are selected as a transplant candidate — to help guide you up to and through your surgery, as well as your follow-up care. We’re here with you for the long haul.
In addition to transplants, our surgeons perform other highly complex hepatobiliary abdominal surgeries, including:
- Liver resections
- Gastric (stomach) surgery
- Metastatic colon cancer (liver metastases)
- Whipple procedure (pancreatic cancer and IMPN disease)
- Distal pancreatectomy (IPMN disease and pancreatic cancer)
- Gall bladder removal (cirrhotics and non-cirrhotics)
- Hernia repair in cirrhotic transplant patients
- Other surgical procedures in cirrhotics when indicated
SLUCare Abdominal Transplant provides compassionate, state-of-the-art care for people in St. Louis and throughout the region. We also honor and steward gift organs from donors to the best of our abilities.
For more information, call the Transplant Center at 314-257-3760.
Abdominal Transplant Surgery LocationCenter for Specialized Medicine 1225 South Grand, Third Floor
St. Louis, MO 63104 314-257-3760 See Map Find a Transplant Surgeon